Pair this dish with a nice Pinot Grigio and watch the sparks fly!
Chicken Picata and Spaghetti with Spinach Pesto.
Recipe is as follows:
- 2-3 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Regular unseasoned bread crumbs
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- 2 shallots or 1/2 Vidalia onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- 2 tablespoons of pitted green olives with pimento
- 1 tablespoon of pitted black olives
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Lemon pepper, granulated garlic powder and granulated onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano Handful of fresh basil Saran wrap.
- Fold each chicken breast in between a piece of Saran wrap, then pound and flatten it with a mallet or meat tenderizer.
- After each piece of chicken is flattened, season each one liberally with lemon pepper and the other granulated seasonings, then coat them with bread crumbs and set aside.
- To the frying pan add the butter and simmer until butter is melted, then add the wine and stir for about 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Next, add the olives (and juice) and capers - keep stirring on medium to low heat. Then add a pinch of white sugar, and keep stirring.
- As the sauce thickens, you may need to add a little chicken stock or water to thin it out; you want to have enough sauce left to return the chicken to the pan for simmering. After the sauce and wine have reduced, return the chicken to the pan and cover on low heat. Let the chicken simmer for about 15 minutes and then add the onions and basil. The entire dish will need to simmer for about 25 minutes.
- 1 handful of fresh Italian parsley
- I handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- 1 handful of fresh or frozen baby leaf spinach
- 1 handful of pine nuts or chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup of pitted green olives in juice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 squeezed lemon
- 2-3 Serrano peppers
- A dabble of honey
In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Set aside in the fridge and keep cool.
- Cook 1 pound of spaghetti in olive oil and salt. When the pasta is ready (non al dente), toss it with 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/4 cup of pesto.